The Providence College Friars improved to 2-0 with a 76-65 win over Bucknell on Saturday night at the DUNK.
Despite the 11 point victory, the game was a lot closer than it seemed. Bucknell controlled most of the first half thanks to poor shooting from the Friars (14-37, 37.8%). PC stayed in the game with great rebounding, getting 13 offensive boards for 9 second chance points. Marshon Brooks led the game in scoring in the first half with 13 points — which included several silky smooth jump shots.
The second half featured most of the same, with the Friars continuing to miss a boat load of three pointers. A big boost came from newcomer Duke Mondy, who hit back to back threes 5 minutes into the half to give PC a 3 point advantage. During the radio broadcast, Joe Hassett said Mondy was the “best pure shooter on the team”. Since Hassett himself was an amazing shooter, I’m going to take his word.
PC was able to grab the lead (for good) with about 7 minutes remaining via a huge Brian McKenzie 3-ball, and a tricky floater by freshman Vincent Council (who also had a sick pull up fadeaway jumper in the first half). From there, it was all Providence from the line — they went 14-19 overall from the line in the 2nd half. They made the necessary defensive stops and held on for the W.
Sharaud Curry didn’t score a point in the first half, and missed on about 4 contested threes. Well, he actually ended up leading the team in scoring with 17 points — he nailed several big threes (including a wide open DAGGER with 2 minutes to go with PC up 6), and also went 8-8 from the foul line (mostly down the stretch to ICE the game).
Bryan Cohen of Bucknell was the leading scorer for the game, putting down 18 points on 4-7 shooting from dowtown.
- Providence had 4 players score in double digits – Brooks (15), Curry (18), McKenzie (10), and Council (10).
- Four Friars had more than 5 rebounds — Brooks (6), Greedy (6), BMac (8!), Dixon (9)
- 11 Friars saw action
- Unlike the first game, the starting lineup saw a lot more minutes, with Sharaud Curry the only one to top 30 minutes played (33). Marshon, BMac, Dixon, and Council saw 25+.
- Sharaud Curry had 1 assist, and 3 turnovers.
- Vincent Council had 4 assists, and ZERO turnovers.
- Bilal Dixon had 6 offensive rebounds — He had 7 in the first game.