All of the court-storming hoopla this year in college basketball has finally gotten to Rick Reilly. While it’s debatable how Friar fans acted after beating UConn this year, you will be happy to know that “The Storm” last year after beating #1 Pitt passed every single rule!
Let’s go through his rules one by one, thinking of that great Pitt game last year. My comments are in bold
• You’ve won an NCAA title in the past 20 years. – Well, the Final Four is our NCAA title, and we haven’t even reached that in 23 years.
• You’ve been in the Final Four in the past five years. – Next!
• The team you just beat is not in the top three. – We’re good here, Pitt was ranked #1
• Or is ranked within 15 rungs of you. (Somebody do the math for Wake.) – You would need several ladders to get the rungs for this one.
• Or is really a football school. This includes Florida, Texas and Ohio State. Get over it. What’s football???
• You’ve beaten this same team in the past five years. – Had PC even beaten Pitt in the last 15 years? We should also get extra points considering one of their players broke the effing backboard against us 20 years ago!
• You won the stupid game by more than 10 points. There is no such thing as a PRTC (Premeditated Rush The Court.) – Whew. Even though PC had a solid lead the entire game, they won by 8.
• You’re a university and you just beat a college. – Unless you count all the idiots who call us “Providence University” (Fryers!), we got that reversed baby!
• Coach K comes to your coach’s clinic. – One day, Coach K will come to Keno. Not right now, but one day.
• You have a dead-mortal-lock lottery pick on your team. – At least Weyinmi Efejuku worked out for a few teams. Pretty sure he plays overseas with the rest of that Friar class. I’ve never seen a lottery pick come through in my 10 years following. Ryan Gomes was the closest.
• Your team has appeared in a recent “One Shining Moment.” – I’ve never heard of this song. Is it important in college basketball in some way???