Letter to Nerlens Noel

Daniel "The Warrior Friar" James —  February 21st, 2012 9:24 AM —  Comments
Spread the word

Dear Nerlens,

I’d like to start off by apologizing – first on my behalf. I’m a fan that is probably faceless in a sea of fanatics that show up at the Dunk. I have no business writing this, and I’m not sure how it’ll be received. All I can hope for is that you understand the reason I’m writing this isn’t for personal gain, or for the sake of my institution, or anything else. Whatever equalizing denominator you want to use – we’re both from eastern Massachusetts, both rock fantastic hair styles (your fade top and my jew-fro), or that we’re both simply humans co-existing on this planet – just know I’m writing it from that standpoint, and not one of any alternative motive.

Secondly, I’d like to apologize for the experts, the journalists, and the overall opinionated people who claim they know what you’re thinking and what you’re going through. It seems that I can’t go on Twitter, Facebook, or a message board and not see your name tied up in some half-baked idea of what you’re thinking and/or where you’re going. The reality, as I’m sure you’re aware of, is that none of these people know and that they’re guessing either by job description, bias standpoint, or simply overzealous at the opportunity to see you wear their school’s name and colors on your uniform in the fall. I can’t even imagine how frustrating it must be to have words put into your mouth by these people on a daily basis, even further exacerbated  by the fact that they don’t consult you, or that they spin your consultation to a very specific degree. I can’t claim to have an understanding of that feeling, like every word seems to be pushing you in a direction that you’re not sure you want to head in, but I can imagine that it gets so frustrating at times that you want to throw your fist into a wall.

To put it simply, it’s not fair. It’s not fair to you because you’ve worked your entire life to get to this point and you’ve made the sacrifices you’ve needed to make to get where you’re at presently, and now it must feel like someone is taking that and trying to control it. It’s unfair because you should be enjoying this, not feeling like you’re being pushed into something. Christ, at this point in high school my biggest concern was who my prom date was going to be, these kinds of decisions you have to make are well beyond the most of us and you have to make them in the midst of this point in your life. In laments terms, it’s bullshit that you have to feel this way and put up with this.

I don’t know you, and I’m not about to give you advice because I have no idea where you’re at or what you’re going through. All I can say is I empathize with you. From all accounts you sound like a great young man, one who has his head on right and is always looking ahead in life. From my understanding you’re mature beyond your years and extremely respectful, rare and valuable qualities not only in a person but in life. These are the qualities that people look back on and root for – not for you as a basketball player, but for you as a person. With all these pressures on where to go, when to decide by, who thinks what, it might be easy to lose sight of that.

If there’s one thing I can encourage you to do, it’s to never forget the people that matter most in your life are the ones who will support you for you and the decisions you make. There is no “right answer” in many things – the choices in life are not black and white, but beautiful shades of grey. What decisions you make should be ones that reflect the choices made with your heart and mind, and not ones made for you by others. You know this, and I’m not trying to teach you something you know. What you might not know is that people of your nature, who are unique in character for their esteemed qualities, will always be rooted for. Whether it be because you play basketball or not is a variant of life that can change at the pulse of a heartbeat, but as Confucius said “no matter where you go, there you are.” I hope you remember these words because at the end of the day they will ring true for you – no matter what school you pick you will still be, from all accounts, a great person. These are the people we hope to see succeed in life, regardless of where they do it.

I vouch for no person other than myself and those who may find agreement in this letter, regardless of philosophical beliefs, religious denomination, or even school affiliation. As a person, I want nothing more than to see you succeed in whatever you do. Life is nothing more than a collection of moments, but it is the family and community we embrace as our own that what makes life worthwhile. I hope you find this in whatever path you decide going forward, but also I hope you understand there are those already around you that provide this for you. I know you may not read this, but maybe in some metaphysical way these words reach you in some form and they bring solace to your life when you may need it. Most importantly, have fun – life is too short not to.

- Warrior Friar

Spread the word

Comments

1. iCyou says:

HEY BUDDY…YOU GRADUATED. STOP LIVING IN THE PAST. NO ONE LIKED YOU HERE. sick chinstrap bro. youre a joke

2. Hometown Guy says:

Dude I appreciate your love for the program but you have zero writing skills… You’re blog about what it means to be a Friar sounded like a kid writing home from Summer Camp. I would not doubt if this terrible letter that went nowhere hurt our chances…

P.S. Ditch the Thesaurus, sometimes “big” words make a terrible adjective,.

3. UbLuEiT says:

thank alot Daniel “The Warrior Friar” James. now Noel will never come to PC. Stop living in your past. Get a job, and a life. have fun living with your mommy the rest of your life. sick chinstrap.

4. Mappx18 says:

To the three fuck-heads who commented below this,

Lay the hell off this kid! Jesus! What the hell is wrong with you people?  So he’s passionate about Friar basketball and wants to write a heartfelt letter.  Let’s stone him, huh?

Oh, and Hometown Guy, you ACTUALLY have the balls to claim that this kid has “zero writing skills”? Are you serious right now? You don’t know how to use ‘you’re,’ bro.  Just blatantly using it wrong on a post where YOU’RE criticizing someone else’s writing skills. That’s Grammar 101. YOU’RE a dumb ass, but YOUR hypocrisy is laughable. See?  Also, ”big words” can’t exactly make “a terrible adjective.”  Plural and singular, man. Yikes.  You’re seriously embarrassing every single person who’s ever earned a degree from PC.  But yea, “Warrior Friar’s” the one with zero writing skills. What ever you say, scumbag.

And let’s all keep talking about how grown up we are, living in the real world with big boy jobs and no mommy’s to cry to.  Yet, we’re going to make fun of the kid’s facial hair? Real mature, guys.

5. Mappx18 says:

And I’ve never met Warrior Friar.  No clue who he is.  But he doesn’t deserve to get shit on by a bunch of dead beat alumni who have nothing better to do….

1. Hometown Guy says:

Ok so I may have had a typo or two while posting this comment during a coffee break it happens… But who are you to tell anyone how to react to a “blog”. You want to call Warrior Friars letter heart felt? Give me a break… Who is he to tell a future number one draft pick how to feel? As for the Warrior Friar I am at every game and have a perfect view of (You’re) =) fearless leader. He brings nothing to the table to enhance the game experience.

This “letter” is one big contradiction… Examples below.

“I don’t know you, and I’m not about to give you advice because I have no
      idea where you’re at or what you’re going through”

A paragraph later…

“If there’s one thing I can encourage you to do, it’s to never forget the
      people that matter most in your life are the ones who will support you
      for you and the decisions you make. There is no “right answer” in many
      things – the choices in life are not black and white, but beautiful
      shades of grey. What decisions you make should be ones that reflect the
      choices made with your heart and mind, and not ones made for you by
      others.”

It’s people like you Mappx18 that are making this country a bunch of weak, sensitive and entitled losers.  If someone wants to put something up for public view then they need to be able to handle criticism. I’m not a hater but when I see something I don’t like I comment because I can and there’s nothing you can do about it. So you’re the one that needs to grow up and realize that just because mommy and daddy tell you YOU’RE special doesn’t mean the world will agree.

Take care keyboard tough guy… And by the way I didn’t go to PC I went somewhere else hence the name Hometown Guy!

1. Hometown Guy says:

And before you reply with a juvenile poke, I realize I missed an apostrophe and may have other typos too.

1. Mappx18 says:

Dude, I just think it’s hilarious to call out someone for having “zero writing skills” when you’re operating at an elementary level.  And I’m not arguing for or against his letter – I just kind of think you’re a douche for shitting on the kid’s life because he tried to make a difference.

And nice job using textual evidence to prove your points!  Bravo! Really great stuff.

Oh wait, no one gives a shit…

1. Hometown Guy says:

You obviously give a shit or you wouldn’t have wasted YOU’RE (never gets old) time writing in twice. Keep trying to make yourself seem better than you are.  Writing skills and grammar skills both of which I have minus a few typos are completely different. I’m stalking about substance and flow now punctuation and typos. Unlike you I have a life but I will keep replying to your bullshit as long as you stay hanging on my jock.

2. Hometown Guy says:

and I meant “not” instead of now. You can be my editor if you like.

3. Hometown Guy says:

6. UbLuEiT says:

I am at every game. this “warrior friar” ran that group Friar Fanatics. Kid didn’t let the fans say ANYTHING. And he would come up with like a cheer cheat sheet. they were almost as good as his chinstrap.

1. Hometown Guy says:

I bet correctuseofyour123 and Mappx18 have sweet chinstraps also.

7. correctuseofyour123 says:

I have never before done this in my life, but after reading the sad display of bullying comments by UbLuEit, iCyou, and–my favorite–Hometownguy, I decided to create a username and jump on into the fray.

All three of you are pathetic. Mappx is absolutely right, good for him and shame on you. You should all be embarrassed that you have all descended to points in YOUR lives where you are shamelessly hiding behind a computer screen and making a passionate friar fan feel terrible about himself.

…and hometownguy, you got it wrong again. C’mon buddy, it’s really pretty simple. “You’re”= You are. “Your” is possessive. =). Feels good being made fun of, doesn’t it?

”As for the Warrior Friar I am at every game and have a perfect view of (You’re) =) fearless leader. He brings nothing to the table to enhance the game experience.”

1. Hometown Guy says:

Another whiny Liberal Bitch heard from…

Anyone with half a brain can tell that my usage of the word “You’re” was sarcasm ( I even added a smiley face for morons like you) but you felt the need to take it literally and show off YOU’RE (sarcasm again for anyone else who wants to “jump in the fray”) third grade English skills.  Maybe you should change YOU’RE (did it again) name to
      **Idontunderstandsarcasm456**

You Loser!

Also,
      For you Warrior Friar defender’s…This “Letter to Nerlens Noel” is a direct rip off from someone who started a post of the exact name Scout.com’s Friar page.  Except that one was entertaining unlike this condescending piece of garbage.

If you like the letter, good for you! Maybe you NEED Warrior Friar’s advice. One thing I can tell you is that Noel doesn’t. If you want to tell him why he should come here that’s cool. But to come off like you know more about life than a kid who has the world in his hands then YOU’RE (not sarcasm correctuseofyour123) a FOOL!

I don’t like it and if you want to make it personal, go ahead and keep embarrassing yourselves.

1. correctuseofyour123 says:

Can you explain to me how disagreeing with your stance on this letter makes me a liberal? Seriously, I’d like to know.

1. Hometown Guy says:

First of all, I am obviously right since you are not denying it (which is ok btw to each his own).

Secondly, you are not disagreeing with MY stance .

You are upset that I am disagreeing with someone else’s stance because it might hurt their feelings.  Let Warrior Friar stand up for himself if he disagrees, it has NOTHING to do with YOU. If you said something like (You are wrong, this letter is great because blah, blah, blah) Then I would respect your comment. But no, you miss the point (many actually).

THAT is what makes you a liberal.

*** Don’t worry, no sarcasm you can take everything literal.

1. correctuseofyour123 says:

I’m a registered Republican, BRO.

2. Mappx18 says:

*literally.

3. Hometown Guy says:

auto correct…maybe one day you’ll be able to afford an I-phone and understand.

2. correctuseofyour123 says:

I know your grammar sucks but maybe you have some argumentative skills. Your thesis (do you know what a thesis statement is?) can be why I’m a liberal for disagreeing with your opinion on this letter.

2. correctuseofyour123 says:

Hold on! I caught another one:
        “and talking, not staking… Ridiculous that I have to preemptively correct myself. Because your too dumb to realize this is just a blog not a term paper I proof read before posting.”Bro, c’mon now, this is like the 7th or 8th time you’ve done this. And you definitely weren’t trying to be sarcastic here. I actually think you don’t know how to use YOU’RE correctly. Sure, you were being sarcastic, but then go ahead to use the wrong form again. Go ahead and keep telling yourself that you have writing skills.

1. Hometown Guy says:

It’s called autocorrect idiot…. Stop changing the topic. You have made zero points in this whole thread. If not for my I-phone you would have nothing to talk about.

And for the record… I’m not YOUR bro.

2. Hometown Guy says:

It’s called autocorrect idiot… Do you have any points to make are are you just waiting to comment on software glitches…  Don’t know the difference between Your and You’re? Are you kidding me? I don’t know what’s more ridiculous, the fact that you are saying that or the fact that YOU’RE proud that you do. I obviously had parenthesis and smiley faces on the other times I played with the word usage do by you saying it’s the 7th or 8th time Ive done it means you.

A) Don’t know math
          B) Don’t know saracasm
          C) All of the above

1. Hometown Guy says:

forgot a question mark just in case you want to prove my point that you have nothing to bring again.

Oh, and I’m not you’re Bro.

2. Hometown Guy says:

(,and) instead of “do” dick wad.