As it’s been well documented across the news and sports blogosphere, Jeff Xavier’s brother Jonathan casually walked onto the court to confront a referee during the Providence – Marquette game at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center on Saturday night.
If you haven’t seen it, here is the video.
Although it’s possible that Jonathan Xavier was trying to protect his brother after taking an elbow to the eye and not getting a foul call, here are some other possible reasons why he walked onto the court.
10. Jonathan was furious that Geoff McDermott was taking the foul shots for Jeff. He thought the NCAA rule was that if a player was physically unable to take the free throws, the duty would go to the next of kin.
9. Jonathan was angry with the ref for not calling traveling on Jeff. He always got away with that shit when they were growing up and playing in the backyard.
8. None of the other referees ever return his phone calls or emails about other blown calls after the games. This was just easier.
7. Jonathan had only ever been to one other basketball game his entire life — a certain Pacers – Pistons game in 2004.
6. Was just storming the court like a normal fan after the Friars just beat a ranked team. Was just asking the ref why they were still playing when the game was over?
5. Jonathan had a really good knock-knock joke to tell McDermott while he was taking foul shots. Geoff was struggling at the line, and Jonathan thought it would help loosen him up.
4. He swore he heard his seat row and number called out over the loud speaker. He thought he was going to take a half court shot to try and win a prize. Turns out it was just the voices in his head.
3. Thought the referee controlled the thermostat in the building. He just wanted him to turn the heat up!
2. Marvin Barnes was watching the game at home (while lifting weights, playing a pickup game, and elbowing people in the face) and decided it was the perfect time for Geoff McDermott to TAKE THE TORCH. He texted Jonathan Xavier and told him to GIVE HIM THE TORCH before he took some foul shots. Jonathan just wanted to ask the ref first before bringing THE TORCH onto the court — You know, it being a fire hazard and all.
1. Jonathan was really excited about the deal he got on his parka at the Burlington Coat Factory, and just wanted to let everyone on the court know. After all, as Michael Scott said: “I love Burlington Coat Factory. You go in there with $645, you are literally a king”.
Michael Scott would walk on the court if one of his employees was in danger.